Narelle Brigden - Providing Supportive Counselling Services
RSS Become a Fan

Recent Posts

How to Measure the Strength on your Relationship
Why self-help books, well, don't help
Fighting Fair
Will My Marriage Survive?

Categories

Personal Development
Relationship Counselling
powered by

My Blog

Recently, there has been a new age wave in the helping profession that I am finding both concerning and disturbing  - I like to call them “insighters”.  Those wanting to ‘spread their word’ on their meaning of life - or worse, tell you how you should live yours (for a small fee - of course).  They come under many guises such as Action Coach, Life Expert, Life Specialist, Life Mentor, Motivator, Passion Driver, Positive Energy Consultant, just to name but a few.  Sadly, all of who are unqualified, unregistered and certainly have no experience in mental health or well-being.

Don’t get me wrong – I believe there are roles for specific coaches and mentors in relevant fields. If you are looking for a Coach or Business Mentor there are many talented and reputable ones that have specialised industry knowledge or executive coaches who have had a successful career with a minimum of 5-10 years in a mid/large corporate in a senior position. There are also personal trainers or coaches, who hold the appropriate qualifications, targeting a specific need in your life ie to get into shape or be physically healthier.  Fortunately, these professionals know where to draw the line in what they are trained in and what they are not.

I’m talking about the ones who fabricate their business upon attending a few “rah rah” events, a couple of marketing and networking functions, and reading the complete series of “self-help”books and articles, lifting the insights of accomplished others, such as the swelling trend for Dr Brene Brown, Deepak Chopra, Adrianna Huffington, Anthony Robbins, Oprah, Eckhart Tolle, Gary Zukov, Dr Phil, Rev TD Jakes and many other TED talkers.  Their website and Facebook feeds are usually filled with platitudes – you know the ones that only belong on fridge magnets ie find your bliss, the world is yours for the taking, dare to suck, etc.  They are clearly montaging others’ slogans, wise words, famous quotes, findings and insights.  Academics call this plagiarism and this does not make them qualified professionals.  WARNING - Don’t be sucked into the hype….

I’m seeing far too many people, particularly women, fallen victim to this hype and have, through their PAID “reach your full potential” process, made regrettable life decisions, broken valued relationships, lost family, friends and jobs.  Here as just a few examples:-

“your spouse has been holding you back from reaching your full potential”

“Ignore your partners needs, you deserve to put “YOU” first”

“your friend was being 'negative' and they are 'toxic' and you must rid them from your life”.

“your family has to understand that you need to be more selfish and pursue your dream”.

“your children just have to come to terms that your ‘you’ time is essential for everyone to be happy’ – their needs are secondary”

I can’t begin to tell you how damaging these statements have been.  Sadly, many of these NOW broken relationships, were loved ones being honest enough to tell them the truth, for which the client has come to recognise all too late.  So, who ultimately pays the price and whose pockets are being lined…

A professional would help you to establish clear and healthy boundaries around ALL relationships – they would never suggest to “rid” people from your life.  They work together with your partner to address the importance of your needs being met.  A therapist would work closely with your family to establish priorities and schedules so that everyone has shared responsibility and time. As humans, we thrive on connectivity with others – not walking solo to your dreams where your personal successes will feel hollow.

Unbelievably, people are being hooked by the marketing of these sites, completely smothered in platitudes, stunning photography and promises of a whole new life. I was gobsmacked to learn that very few people look for professional qualifications when seeking help or guidance on such important issues.  This concerns me on so many levels, but here is just a few: -

·      Those that go looking for help or searching for answers, are at their most vulnerable hoping to find a magic bullet for their problems.

·      Unfortunately, those without appropriate training and qualifications only see the potential dollars signs not the social, legal and ethical responsibility to act in the best interests of the client.  Trained professionals are held accountable by their registered organisation.

·      Clients that have experienced a traumatic event or loss such as a relationship breakdown, redundancy, loss of a family member, etc are left wide open for re-traumatisation from the approach of a non-experienced and untrained professional.

·      Some people are feeling pressured to make a decision that they are uncomfortable with in search for “their true bliss” or under the auspices of being “authentic”.

·      Not being emotionally prepared for such a directive approach may lead some clients into depression and/or anxiety.

·      The feeling of being overwhelmed may have a negative impact on self-esteem or self-worth.

It’s never easy finding the right source or approach for help and unfortunately; no legislation prohibits these people from working from this platform. But here are four (4) hard and fast rules to follow to avoid falling victim:-

1.     Look for their professional qualifications – not their marketing prowess.  A minimum degree in psychology, counselling, social work or mental health should be a starting point.  People work hard to obtain their educational qualifications, those that have it will display it proudly front and centre.  If you’re struggling to find a clear recognised qualification – YOU’RE ON THE WRONG WEBSITE.

2.     Look for their registration, for the counselling profession in Australia, look for memberships to either the Australian Counselling Association or members of PACFA.  Each member has to obtain a minimum level of qualifications to be accredited with further ongoing professional development and supervision to maintain their registration.  Those requiring a mental health plan via a psychologist can be referred by their family doctor.

3.     Look for their expert experience usually the ‘about me’ section of their website should contain their resume of the what, when, where and how of their professional career.  This should not be “how I was a drop down drunk and turned myself around”, or “I went all eat, pray, love and found myself”.  Successful people are proud of their work achievements and will always highlight and showcase the details.

4.     Look for their office address or professional offices.  Unless YOUR special circumstances require it, most professionals will want to work with you in person.   A big part of effective counselling is the working relationship between the client and the therapist.

Once the above is established, you have at least completed a filter that personally and professionally protects your mental and psychological well-being.  If you’re looking for some inspiration and motivation in your life, save your money and do what the “insighters” do - make Google your best friend.

Warning – no plagiarism!  But please – feel free to share (a lot).

Narelle Brigden
Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Executive Coach
Grad. Dip, Counselling
M.A.C.A.

© Narelle Brigden Counselling, 2014

40 Comments to WARNING - Are you on a quest for authenticity or finding your bliss? STOP!! You could be making a HUGE mistake:

Comments RSS
telicando marafecco on Friday, 21 November 2014 10:44 AM
Limit die Menge der Spiele-Titel Sie Wetten . telicando marafecco http://telicandomarafecco24.com telicando marafecco

bestessays com on Friday, 25 January 2019 5:26 PM
Those are really cute pictures of your child in an Indian outfit. Indians would really appreciate your appreciation of their culture. The native Indians are the ancestral owners of the lands that we live in. I hope that more people would pay respect and appreciate their culture. Their race is slowly declining and I hope that it would not happen soon. We must support each other in this world, may we be colored in the skin or not. Anyway, I hope that you would post more pictures of your baby here.

réplicas de relojes on Saturday, 29 November 2014 11:46 PM
Es wahrscheinlich geben ueber etliche kurz vor I erzaehlte erklaerte ihr, dass am Sonntagnachmittag, warum ihre Grossmutter immer haeufig slice die Spitze aus. réplicas de relojes http://www.replicarelojesrapido.com réplicas de relojes

réplicas de relojes on Sunday, 30 November 2014 1:57 AM
A real Fonds Angebot liefern Sie mit hinzugefuegt Preis in Ihrem Online Wetten. réplicas de relojes http://www.replicarelojesrapido.com réplicas de relojes

Maud Jezewski on Friday, 16 October 2015 1:18 AM
to the very increase does?

Dong Rothbauer on Wednesday, 28 October 2015 7:16 AM
company Selection?

Jeremy Wilde on Wednesday, 28 October 2015 7:49 AM
information essential for self?

Treena Talarico on Saturday, 14 November 2015 1:14 AM
but one of the assembly?

Anonymous on Sunday, 10 December 2017 10:41 PM

essay guard services on Sunday, 10 December 2017 10:42 PM
Every person has right to enjoy his life. People can entre in different fields and can get opportunities as well. People need to develop self confidence to adopt any profession. With specific profession they can provide coaching also to many people.

assignment brief on Monday, 22 January 2018 3:10 PM

http://www.appyzone.com/ on Thursday, 1 November 2018 12:12 AM
Its Really Impressive articale Thanks to post such a useful content.Its Awesome to Visit this Web Site

macgic on Thursday, 1 November 2018 12:13 AM
This post always shared powerful materials everyday, I hope you continue to have such quality articles to share with everyone! I believe a lot of people will be surprised to read this article

Buy Star Wars J on Thursday, 3 January 2019 11:11 PM
I was searching for something like this for quite a long time and at last I’ve found it on your blog. It was definitely interesting for all users i must want to appreciate your thoughts you have already shared though this post.

$1 Hosting Godaddy on Wednesday, 9 January 2019 5:44 PM
I think this is one of the most meaningful information for me

Clarence Mash on Monday, 14 January 2019 8:35 AM
For a limited time we have lowered the rate on targeted website traffic. We have visitors from virtually every country on Earth. Each visitor is targeted by both country and keywords that you submit when you start your free trial period. If you need more visitors or product sales try our service free for seven days and we will send you 500 free visitors during the trial. There are no contracts and if you cancel during the trial period you will not be charged anything! Start your trial today: http://sp7.site/7 Unsubscribe here: http://sp7.site/8

987 on Tuesday, 15 January 2019 1:42 PM
789

Thomas Haughton Winnipeg on Tuesday, 12 March 2019 6:32 PM
Thomas Haughton Winnipeg takes care of them. It’s a successful organization running and has helped many animals up till now.

CBD Tinctures on Thursday, 14 March 2019 9:58 PM
CBD and hemp oil online shopping. CBD and hemp oil products for sale online. Shop for CBD and hemp oil now!

essayontime plagiarism on Saturday, 6 April 2019 3:21 PM
It is nice to see those pictures that you really happy for your family, Every person deserves to take out their family and everybody deserves a break because if you Don't treat yourself right, you will be sad, Thank you for posting this article and I found out more information about you mention in your topic, I found more information in your blog

Kala Jadu on Thursday, 11 April 2019 10:26 AM
Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.

essay writting services on Saturday, 13 April 2019 4:47 PM
Such an amazing blog I've ever seen, You shared a beautiful and lovely pictures. I hope that I would get a chance to meet the persons behind these wonderful and majestic pictures, If I'll get that chance I would be thankful for it. It is all awesome It can help to make everyone more interested about your hobby, This is fit for everybody's idea of how will they make their self adventurous and excitement life. Thanks for sharing your very nice pictures, Keep on posting a very wonderful and interesting blog.

Guest posting services on Friday, 10 May 2019 8:36 PM
Securing guest posts is a time consuming tasks. You have to identify target websites, reach out to editors, pitch article ideas and secure links on high-profile industry blogs. We offer a streamlined service that takes care of the guest posting process from start to finish.

Niche backlinks services on Friday, 10 May 2019 8:37 PM
Niche Related Blog Comments is the most effective strategy for directing the flow of internet traffic towards your website. When you comment on an appropriate blog, it is read by a lot of people. Every blog has a dedicated space at the end of its blog post for its users to post their opinions or comments concerning the blog. It is desirable to always comment intelligently.

UTME Pa on Saturday, 18 May 2019 11:07 PM

Best Quartz Banger on Saturday, 18 May 2019 11:07 PM
Sweet web site, super style and design, rattling clean and utilize pleasant. Best Quartz Banger

Chiropractic on Monday, 20 May 2019 10:13 PM
Hello! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot! Chiropractic

MINURSO on Monday, 20 May 2019 10:13 PM
Howdy, i scan your blog occasionally and that i own a similar one and i was simply wondering if you get plenty of spam comments? If therefore how do you forestall it, any plugin or something you’ll be able to advise? i buy such a lot lately its driving me mad therefore any assistance is very much appreciated.

buy weed canada on Friday, 24 May 2019 8:10 PM
Audio began playing when I opened up this internet site, so irritating! buy weed canada

how to get your house sold fast on Saturday, 25 May 2019 9:25 PM
It is in reality a great and useful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. how to get your house sold fast

888 casino on Tuesday, 28 May 2019 6:01 PM
Yay google is my queen aided me to find this great site! 888 casino

Y2Mate YouTube Downloader on Tuesday, 28 May 2019 10:09 PM
There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made particular nice points in features also. Y2Mate YouTube Downloader

除毛 on Wednesday, 29 May 2019 9:35 PM
Best work you have done, this online website is really cool with great facts. 除毛

where to find love afte on Wednesday, 29 May 2019 9:35 PM
I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing. where to find love after 50

lawn mowing services on Thursday, 30 May 2019 4:02 PM
Great information, better still to find out your blog that has a great layout. Nicely done lawn mowing services

restaurant construction on Thursday, 30 May 2019 4:02 PM
The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I do know it was my option to learn, however I really thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you may repair when you werent too busy looking for attention. restaurant construction

poker ace 99 on Thursday, 30 May 2019 8:11 PM
I just wanted to tell you how much my partner and i appreciate anything you’ve discussed to help improve the lives of men and women in this subject matter. Through your current articles, I have gone through just a newcomer to a professional in the area. It’s truly a gratitude to your good work. poker ace 99

Amazon on Thursday, 30 May 2019 8:11 PM
Certainly I like your web-site, however you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform you. However I’ll definitely come back again! Amazon

papersplanet.com on Sunday, 2 June 2019 6:35 AM
Pets are always love and although humans can't be compared with animals but its great way to focus on relationships. You can try getting more out of it.Good one.

Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint